Thursday, February 7, 2013

Choosing Seeds

Ches and I have chosen most of our seeds from the lovely Seed Savers Exchange.  It was hard to narrow down our choices, and with Seed Savers there are always the neat, unusual items that can be hard to resist.  We have a selection of heirloom seed tomatoes  summer and fall squashes, lettuces, radishes, okra (yum!), peppers and more.  February is the month I find myself most missing fresh-from-the-garden produce.  I keep switching which seed I am most excited about, but I think for today it is Ground Cherries.  They are actually a type of tomato that grows in a husk and has a sweet flavor.  I have never grown them myself but always buy them at the Farmer's Market and I am told they are prolific plants that will thrive and takeover wherever you put them!

We knew we wanted to buy most of our seeds from Seed Savers because they already had most of what we wanted, but shortly after placing the order I was extra glad went with them after reading the article "The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden".  I had not realized some of the names Monsanto seed was being sold under, or that they were buying up heirloom seed names!  Highly recommended reading for those who swap spring fashion magazines for spring seed catalogs!

The Seed Assortment!  


1 comment: